Oct 14, 2008

shoplifting

The first time I shoplifted I was in the 7th grade. I was at the mall with my friends, and we were chatting and perusing the jewelry at Claire's Boutique. We left and headed to The Bon Marche (now macy's). I reached out to inspect a shirt and noticed I still had a bracelet from Claire's on my wrist. I almost threw up. My larger-than-life conscience propelled me (in a sweating tizzy) back to Claire's where I discreetly restored the bracelet to its spot on the rack.

Now Max and I shoplift on a regular basis. Max gets his shoplifting gene from his father (sorry to out you honey), who, as a child, spent time in jail for stealing candy from the local convenience store (it was a small town). Max always manages to grab things off the shelf and hide them until we get to the car. Last summer I made several trips back into walmart after finding not-paid-for goods on Max's person. For some reason I never discovered the booty until after I had already loaded the groceries into the sweltering car. Pregnant and sweating up a storm, I jogged back inside each time with Max on my hip. "Do you have a return?", the greeter would routinely ask. I loved to see the shock on their face when I replied "no, we stole this..." as I rushed past them to pay for the bar of soap or bag of chocolate chips that Max managed to make off with.

Today Max shoplifted a foam owl visor from Joann's. I let him wear it around the store because it kept him quiet. He wore it right through the check-out, without the cashier noticing the big Joann's tag hanging off the side. I made it almost all the way to the car before I realized our crime and rushed back in to fork over $1.09 including tax.

2 comments:

ecuakim said...

LOL. Oh man, that cracks me up. Remind me to tell you my "stealing" story from kindergarten.

Alicia Leppert said...

That's funny. I'm amazed you buy it all. I'd just go throw it on the nearest shelf, or hand it to the Walmart greeter!