Oct 12, 2008

creative outlet

Cooking has always been my creative outlet. I stayed in the cooking dorms my freshman year of college because I knew cooking my own meals would provide much needed satisfaction and stress relief. It did. All through college I dreamed of dropping out and going to culinary arts school. I also started a ridiculously large collection of cookbooks.

My life changed dramatically a little more than a year ago. Allergy tests confirmed that Max is allergic to wheat, dairy, eggs, and nuts. I threw my beloved peanut butter away. I learned VERY quickly that it is impossible to cook without wheat, dairy, and eggs. Impossible, that is, to cook anything that tastes good. I no longer cook for enjoyment. I cook for survival.


Now that my cookbooks are collecting dust in their permanently closed position, I have been in search of a new creative outlet. I am not crafty. I don't scrapbook. I don't have time to take a photography class. I do, however, have a new sewing machine. I finally pulled it out today.
I decided to start making Christmas ornaments. I plan on adorning my tree in soft, child-friendly ornaments for the next few holiday seasons so as to minimize my holiday stress level. My first attempt: matryoshka dolls. I made them out of a toddler dress I found at a thrift store (that makes them cheap and environmentally friendly, right?). Next on the agenda: owls.

7 comments:

blindblogger said...

m-a those are bomb.

dandee said...

What a great idea! I love it!

Alicia Leppert said...

Wow. I am impressed. I am so amazed by people who can do that--just make up their mind to do or make something and they do it, perfectly.

ecuakim said...

Okay, you are amazing. Seriously. And you don't NEED a photography class, by the way, because your pictures are GORGEOUS! I have a new sewing machine too, but don't know how to use it...can we get together some afternoon because I don't "have time for a [sewing] class"?

[M] said...

Kim, of course! My only sewing training is a 4-H sewing class in the 3rd grade, but I would be happy to help you out with the basics (that's all I know).

Jessica said...

These are so gorgeous! I love them! It makes me want to make some!!!

jlthomas said...

Mary Ann you are so creative and crafty! I miss having you around, can you believe it's been like 9 years!
-Laurie