Oct 28, 2008

halloween

I have never decorated for halloween. Not once. Then I turned 30 (ouch!). I lost my mind. I went overboard. I turned my house into a halloween shrine. My children love it. My husband just rolls his eyes. Then he says "you're gonna take this all down when halloween is over, right?" He seems genuinely worried. Maybe he should be. I could be going senile at this ripe old age.
This all started when J-P abandoned us. While he was studying at Duke for 8 miserably long days, I was passing the time (you know, because I had SO much extra time as a single mom) making halloween decorations. Creating lollipop ghosts and scary silhouettes proved to be very therapeutic. Who knew.Here is a (not so) scary crow garland I made. Below are some fabulous velvet pumpkins (with real stems!) that my friend Kim made for my birthday/halloween. I love them. Thank you, they go perfectly in the halloween explosion that is my house and will most definitely be hanging around through thanksgiving.p.s. you can check out more pics on flickr.

7 comments:

Chelsea said...

I love it, I have two pumpkins and that's my decor. I figure when I have a real house, I'll start decorating.

Whenever I see anything black and white now, I think of you.

Alicia Leppert said...

I love decorating for Halloween. I'm slowly trying to update my stuff from the toll-painted hand-me-downs that are at least 15 years old. Cute decorations.
Happy Belated Birthday! I thought of you on your birthday. Can you believe we're 30?! (Well, I almost am.) That just seems so wrong.

Jessica said...

You are so crafty!! I love it all!! How did you do the silhouettes?

S. Schuller said...

Your decorations are so festive and cute! I love your china hutch too. Very cool. I know how it is to be a "single mom" and having to craft. It's therapeutic, isn't it?

[M] said...

Jessica, I printed them off of marthastewart.com, cut them out and attached them to cardstock with 2-sided tape. Takes some major skill, let me tell you. The owl I enlarged on a copy machine in sections, traced it onto posterboard. The crow I got off of google images and traced onto card stock, then cut out. You could also trace and paint them, just paint them, or trace them onto contact paper or sticker paper and use that as a template to paint over, then remove to reveal the silhouettes...there is no wrong way.

Anonymous said...

um... Happy Birthday on Sunday...late. What did you do for fun?

[M] said...

Let's see...I took my first nap in about 4 months. That was nice. That's about it:)