Apr 22, 2008

Patience


I am normally a very patient person (one of my few talents). This is a very helpful skill when you live with an almost two-year-old. Lately my patience has been tried and tested by our little maximiliano, and it is waning. He is sucking out every last drop, and I'm not sure what to do next.

When I went to brush my teeth this morning, the toothpaste was gone. I found it under some rocks in the backyard. When I went to put on my running shoes, they were nowhere to be found. I found them outside in the sandbox. When I went to eat lunch, the silverware was missing. I found some in our bedroom, some in the garden. My cell phone goes missing on a regular basis and can usually be found in the toy box, a bathroom drawer, or in the trunk of a toy car.


Today while I was nursing the baby (the only time he can get away with these shenanigans), he ran outside and ripped out my flowers. Again. I carefully replanted them and soaked the pot in water. I turned my back for two seconds to water the garden and he did it AGAIN. This time the damage was irreparable. I was fuming and he was guffawing. Pretty typical day here at chezscoville.

Time-out is so not working. Any suggestions?

p.s. this is just the cliff notes version of our day

7 comments:

Natasha said...

That would be why I stopped nursing #3 at 4 months old. No suggestions sorry...

Alicia Leppert said...

Your life reads like a sitcom, seriously. You need to submit his daily shenanigans to a children's book editor and make money off of them. Then I bet you'd have a little more patience. :) And to think you haven't even hit the "terrible twos" yet!

Andrea said...

no suggestions. just lots and lots and lots of sympathy. from someone who experiences these same scenarios daily on the other side of the country. at least the only major losses today were a nice serving bowl and an entire gallon of milk...

Natalie Black said...

Hi Mary Ann! I've been checking in on your blog for a while now and just think the world of you! You make me laugh with every post, and I just think you are the most amazing mother. I hope I can have the patience and creativity you display when I have my own family some day...

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

I've been so out of the loop lately that it was especially nice to catch up on the happenings of your family.

Brynn said...

Just hang in there. It took Dallin a while to understand the whole "time out" thing. Just keep trying and he'll eventually get it.

Anonymous said...

A quick swift paddle on the rearend may do the trick