Sep 16, 2008

swinging

...So, I was told that babies who are exclusively breastfed don't get ear infections. Ever. It's against the rules. A mother's milk is magic ear infection prevention potion. Magic, I tell you. And, for me, it has worked like magic. No ear infections at Chez Scoville. No ear infections, that is, until today.

The doctor was quite surprised to hear that I've never had to deal with ear infections. "It's because you breastfeed," he said. Hello, I am STILL breastfeeding. I feed the baby all day, every day, and never give any formula in LARGE part because I don't want to join the ear infection club.


Despite my efforts, Ian has a horrible double ear infection. I swallowed my pride and filled his antibiotic prescription. About 10 minutes after we gave it to him, J-P yelled (in all seriousness) "you better come over here, I think Ian is high." He was laughing, dancing, squealing, bouncing, clapping...so much so that he was on the verge of hyperventilating. We are worried they may have given us the wrong stuff. Is amoxicillin pink? Does it make your children crazy? Now that I am an official (and humble) member of the ear infection club, I would also welcome any and all advice.


3 comments:

Andrea said...

i've exclusively breastfed all three - #1 didn't get one until after 2, #2 got one every time he had a cold and none for #3 yet. some kids are just more susceptible. haven't had any crazy kids from antibiotics but dimetapp definitely makes them wild.

Jessica said...

Pediatric amoxicillin is definitely pink but that's all I know. :) I never remember going crazy from it but I sure loved the flavor. I would anxiously watch my mom pour it out for me when I was little to make sure she filled the spoons as high as possible. Same with that yummy grape Dimetap. (We were a family where sugar was strictly limited. I had to get my sweets where I could.)

Brynn said...

Dallin had major ear infections while he was exclusively breastfed. I think that's an old wives tale. And Aubrey had one while she was breastfed also. But maybe we just have a weak ear gene. And yes, amoxicillin is pink. Ian is probably feeling better and really happy about it. My advice is to be very consistent with the tylenol or motrin for the first 24 hours. Nap & bedtime is when it's worst so make sure he's well drugged.