Sep 18, 2008

salmon cakes

When Max wakes up in the morning, he rubs his eyes, yawns, and says "how about have salmon cakes for din din mommy?" Salmon cakes are always on his mind. He brings them up throughout the day at random, but when 4:00 p.m. rolls around he starts chanting "SALMON CAKES...SALMON CAKES...I WAAAAANT SALMON CAKES." Everyday. Without fail.

I give in and make them at least 3 times a week. Luckily for us, salmon has not been placed on the do-not-eat-because-of-mercury list. I'm really missing tuna. And sushi. Anyway, I don't use a recipe. Partly because Max has a strict diet, but also because I haven't found one I like. This is what I usually put in them:


14 (or so)oz can of Red Salmon
(pink salmon is "garbage" according to my father, who said that it sits on the dock all day to rot while they rush to can the red salmon)
a few mashed red potatoes
(I usually microwave them)
one small zucchini, grated
a small finely diced onion
(white, yellow, green..whatever)
a couple cloves of garlic
(pressed)
1/2 red pepper, diced

2 egg yolks
(max is allergic to the whites, whole eggs work better)
1 tsp lemon juice
(maybe more? i don't measure)
1 tsp soy sauce

a few shakes of seasoning salt

fresh parsley
(i rarely have this on hand)

Mix well and form into patties. You can add flour (or something to help it stick together) if you want. Roll patties in bread crumbs (or not), and fry on each side in a little bit of olive oil until browned.
Here is another family's version. There is no wrong way to do it.

p.s. i separate the bones, skin, and gunk...but they say it's healthy to keep it in, more calcium and omega 3's.


p.s.s. the salad we had with it the other night was just a mixture of fresh corn (grilled is best), diced tomatoes, diced cucumber, and black beans (rinsed) tossed with a little olive oil, lime juice and lot's of fresh,chopped cilantro. and salt.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks for the tips! I told Dave about your picnic and how it inspired me to make salmon cakes that night. (Actually, I fell asleep and had left the ingredients and recipe on the counter so when I woke up Dave had it all done!) I told him I had wanted to make your salad too and showed him how I'd already plucked two pears from the backyard tree. He thought it was ridiculous and hysterical that I was copying your entire meal to the T. I thought it was quite smart.

[M] said...

Jessica, you are so funny. I'm quite jealous that you can just go pick pears from your backyard.

p.s. i squeeze the water out of the zucchini after i grate it...

Brynn said...

yeah, thank you. I actually have never had salmon cakes, but they sounded so good. I'll have to try them soon!

ecuakim said...

Yummers! Going to get the ingredients tonight! Sounds so good, I can't wait. Um, not to be nosy or anything, but No Mercury Diet...is that because you're pregnant again or because Max can't have it or because you're still breastfeeding or because it's an autism contributor, or what? Just curious.

[M] said...

kim, i read on the real simple magazine seafood guide that children, pregnant women, breastfeeding women, and women of childbearing age should avoid most types of tuna. not pregnant:) just paranoid.

S. Schuller said...

I'm so impressed by Max's love of salmon and your use of salmon. Not even a recipe! Amazing. And the salad sounds gourmet. You definitely feed your kids good food!

blindblogger said...

M-A my mouth is watering. You're a great cook, one of my favorites. Thanks for introducing me to great things like fresh garlic.