May 11, 2007

Congratulations Tyler


...So when my parents told me that Dick Cheney would be speaking at Tyler's BYU graduation this April I was a little surprised. They got a letter telling them to be in their seats a few hours early and that protesting would not be allowed. Makes sense. I was very curious what Cheney would say to our young Mormon graduates and called my parents for a report later that day. He talked a little bit about second chances and life not turning out how you expect it to. He also mentioned that his wife's relatives came across the plains with the early pioneers of the church. Here is a shot of the secret service that my dad took outside the Mariott Center.


I haven't thought about it again until today. I was doing my daily perusal of blogs and I stumbled upon an article about an alternative BYU commencement ceremony featuring Ralph Nader and other questionable characters. It turned my stomach. I was in shock that BYU students would forgo the opportunity to be in the presence of President Hinkley and other church leaders that would deliver powerful, inspired messages just because Dick Cheney was going to be there too. Lame. I will never forgot the commencement ceremonies on the day of my graduation from BYU. The messages given by leaders of the church were amazingly powerful and inspiring and I still think about the things they said six years later. I'm sure they all missed out.

7 comments:

dandee said...

Mary Ann, did you read about the alternative commencement on Cjane? If so, did you read the comments? I was shocked at how so many of the commenters admired the organizers of the alternative commencement. I also had no idea that President Hinckley attends BYU Commencement ceremonies. Now I'm even more angry that those students would rather listen to Ralph Nadar than our dear Prophet.

Congratulations to Tyler! Is he still planning on attending dental school?

[M] said...

Yes, I did read about it on Cjane and I was going to put a link to the article but I didn't want to give the guest blogger or her ridiculous website any more publicity. I got half-way through the comments and quit reading because they were disgusting me. President Hinkley doesn't always go to BYU graduation, but there is always a member of the First Presidency (he was there when I graduated). I don't think he spoke this time, but the Apostles usually do speak.

[M] said...

p.s. Yes, Tyler is still planning on Dental School but he's not sure where yet.

Natasha said...

Why would anyone want to listen to Ralph Nader? UGH... Sister Parkin spoke at mine. How are you feeling?

[M] said...

A lot better. Still queasy but I can cook and clean now so my house is a much more pleasant place to be.

Alicia Leppert said...

I was so disgusted reading cJane's blog that day, the article and all the comments. I had no idea there were so many liberal mormons!! I still can't stop thinking about it to this day. This morning I pulled out my Church News and on the front page it said "Vice President Speaks at BYU Commencement" so I quickly went to the article. All it mentioned were protesters as far as the "alternative" people went, but that is also where I was shocked to see President Hinckley was there. These people had the chance to be in the presence of the prophet and chose to have their own to hear from Ralph Nader. Makes me want scream at him.

Alicia Leppert said...

Oh, and congrats to Tyler! I didn't put it together that this was his grad year!