Feb 25, 2007

Food Fanatic

Food fascinates me. I love to eat it, prepare it, shop for it, learn about it, smell it, and grow it. After I learned how to read, I noticed there are nutrition labels on the packaging of food. Since this discovery, I have not eaten anything without first reading the list of ingredients and nutritional information. Over the years I have read hundreds of books and articles on food, health, and nutrition. As a result, things like Omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and live and active cultures excite me. On the other hand, my food paranoia has increased. I feel like hydrogenated oil is poison. I can’t eat a bag of M&M’s in peace because I feel like FD&C Blue No. 1 is a lethal cancer causer. I skip all soda (especially diet) at parties because I think the artificial flavors, colors, and sweeteners are loading me up with toxins. I love hot dogs and lunchmeat, but rarely eat them because nitrites scare me.

What do I eat? I love dark chocolate, Thai food, Persian Food, blueberries, pomegranates, cheese, grapefruit, pasta in all of its forms, mangos, lentils, seafood, olives, avocados, basil, curry, garlic, ginger, sweet potato French fries, sautéed spinach, garden tomatoes, and much more. I love trying new restaurants and buying new cookbooks. The thing that scares me most about getting pregnant again is going nine months without sushi. That was torture.

Here is a great recipe from “The New Moosewood Cookbook” by Mollie Katzen

Feta-Walnut Dip

Ingredients: 1 cup chopped walnuts, a handful of fresh parsley, 1 cup crumbled feta, 1/2 cup water or milk, 1 clove garlic (optional), 1 tsp. paprika, cayenne (to taste), a little olive oil

Directions: Place the walnuts and parsley in a blender or food processor, and blend with a series of quick spurts. When the nuts are ground, add remaining ingredients except olive oil and oregano, and puree until smooth. Transfer to a small serving bowl, cover tightly, and chill. Just before serving, drizzle the top with a little olive oil, and garnish oregano. Serve on sesame crackers, toasted pita wedges, or as a dip for raw vegetables.

Makes a great Sunday afternoon snack!

3 comments:

Alicia Leppert said...

I remember eating Cheetos every day in middle school and you saying, "You know those are only empty calories." It totally made me laugh. I wanted to say, "Yeah, that's why they taste so good."
Now I'm wishing I had listened to you more!

dandee said...

Mary Ann, you eat how I dream of eating. Will you be my personal chef and cook all of my meals for me, do my grocery shopping, and make an alternate, more greasy, fatty meal the rest of my family would enjoy?

[M] said...

No kidding, I never realized how hard it would be to get kids to eat healthy. I spent so much time making max healthy, homemade baby food and the ONLY thing he will eat is oatmeal. So frusterating.