Aug 26, 2008

monsoon

We got a monsoon yesterday. The boys were awoken from their naps by walls of water slapping against the sides of the house. Aside from naps being cut short and the power being out for an hour, the biggest casualty was our neighbor's tree. I LOVE trees. I especially love this tree because when I look out at it, I don't feel like I'm in Arizona. I feel like I'm in a place where trees actually grow.
To dispel my sadness and offer a distraction, J-P loaded us up in the car to go grab some dinner. This plan backfired as we drove past dozens of trees that had been snapped in half, each a painful reminder of the glum fate of my tree. The tree that made living in Arizona a pleasant experience.
The one good thing about the monsoon (besides the obvious free water) is that it softens an otherwise solid ground and makes weeding possible. This morning Max and I pulled about 427 weeds. Maybe more. Although he mostly watched and said things like "mommy, go inside now"..."mommy, max a scared of bugs"..."big bugs a so yucky"..."max a scared a big bug on mommy's back"...and so forth. Apparently Max has a bug phobia because he hasn't stopped talking about them all day. Now I can finally plant all of my seeds that arrived in the mail yesterday from Burpee.

5 comments:

ecuakim said...

LOL. Oh, Mary Ann I love your posts. That was a CRAZY storm. And good for you for actually pulling weeds...gosh I hate that.

Alicia Leppert said...

Macy used to talk the same way at that age, I'd completely forgotten about it until now, putting the word "a" between everything. So cute!

Jessica said...

Poor Max. I have a bug phobia too so I'm with him... Jessica a scared of bugs!

S. Schuller said...

Ohhh, that poor tree and poor you, Mary Ann! I can't wait to see what your seeds will spring up looking like. You're doing great. I loved the silhouette of Ian. He's a cute kid. And, I loved the picture of the kiwi, blueberries and avocado. It looked delicious. I'm always impressed with how healthy you eat, M-A.

Brynn said...

Ahhhhh, I actually miss monsoons! Sorry about the tree. And what bug was on your back? Scary!