Aug 15, 2008

Quarantined:


We are all locked up on quarantine. The reason: hand foot mouth disease. How to know if your baby has HFM disease:

-he wakes up in the middle of the night screaming with a fever
-he won't go back to sleep

-you take him to the doctor...they rule out all the common illnesses and send you home

-he continues to scream all day long, not pausing to eat or sleep
-his temp spikes to 103

-in desperation you take him back to the doc, who cares if they think you're paranoid
-doc points out blisters in his mouth and throat, gives diagnosis, prescribes tylenol with codeine

I can't tell you how grateful I am for drugs. Without out them Ian would not have done any eating or sleeping over the past two days. Even with the drugs there is very little eating or sleeping, but enough to keep him alive. And enough to keep me partially sane. Right now we are highly contagious so we are on voluntary (although doctor recommended) house arrest. Max woke up with a fever this morning, so despite my efforts to keep them apart, I am fearing the worst.

In contrast to our otherwise horrible week was the arrival of this delightful package from my friend Whitney. Quite possibly the coolest package I've ever received. Whitney has a talent for cooking and creating, and a knack for finding cool vintage things. The package included a collage, music, good reads, handmade earrings, good food and recipes, handmade tags, vintage wallpaper and ephemera, make-up, and more. Thank you. I absolutely love it. To think I was only the runner-up to her blog giveaway.

5 comments:

Brynn said...

Ahhh man! That is horrible. HFM is horrible! Hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Alicia Leppert said...

My kids got it a couple years back, but we were lucky. All I remember is the rash, but they might have had fevers, too. I can't imagine a baby having it! Poor guy(s)
What a fun package!

Whitney said...

So sorry about your rough week. You handled it with dignity and aplomb, I'm sure. :-)

Glad you enjoyed the package. It was fun putting it together for you. The music reminded me of you and I thought for sure you needed a copy. To help bring back the memory of all those latin dances on the various patios of Pasco back in the day...

Whitney said...

Oh, and I thought that lady in the center of the collage looked a little like your mom and your grandma--I bought this huge box of vintage photos at a flea market in Illinois and she was a frequent face in a lot of them. Everytime I see one, I think of you guys.

And I love your blog. You are an excellent writer and so funny too!

ecuakim said...

Oh! We were wondering where you guys were today! BUMMER. Hope you can all come out and play soon! Clark inherited the Johnson's splash pool and we're anxious to have friends over to our "new" place!