Jul 1, 2007

The tour is coming, the tour is coming...

I discovered that J-P was a cycling fanatic within the first five minutes of our first date. We were at a Shabu-Shabu restaurant and as he dipped his first piece of meat in the boiling water, I noticed he was wearing a yellow rubber band around his wrist. "Um, why are you wearing a yellow rubber band?", I asked. He informed me that it was a livestrong bracelet, and explained the meaning behind it. After a delightful conversation over boiling water, I learned that cycling is the only sport J-P watches, and that it is only on in July. I remember thinking "I can't let this one get away." I'll never forget our first bike ride together. I showed up at his house in a T-shirt and shorts and he walked out the door in full body spandex. I immediately started laughing. I couldn't help it. It was then that I realized cycling was like a second religion for him. It really hit home the first summer we were married...my husband disappeared for the entire month of July. He didn't actually go anywhere, but he was so absorbed in the Tour that it's like he wasn't there. The timing of the Tour de France couldn't be better, July is the perfect time for me to escape the triple digit heat of Phoenix and visit my parents in Washington. Although J-P claims to be sad we are leaving, he will be so glued to the TV he won't even remember we are gone. The Tour de France has become a very integral part of our lives, and the evidence is everywhere...

An outfit in Max's closet:

A vintage 1912 Tour de France poster on our wall:

Cups in our cupboard:
And many more items that have been banished to J-P's office. He claims he feels hurt that I won't allow all of his framed posters to be hung throughout our house. I tell him that we don't want people to think we are crazy. If you are interested, you can catch the Tour on the OLN network.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually cycling is for roughly 8 months, but I only really stop to watch the Tour de France in July.

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

I love the Tour! I miss watching it with my Dad when I was younger. Too bad we don't have OLN Network.

J-P, were you as bummed as I was when Bjarne Riis came out about the drugs? I was so bummed, he was our little Danish victory and now it isn't the same. :o(

Anonymous said...

Seriously! What's up with cycling right now. It seems that everyone is under suspicion or is admitting to doping! Very frustrating.

dandee said...

Mary Ann, I love learning things like this about people. I find others interests so fascinating!

We should have a "bloggers lunch" while you are home. It would be fun, and you could enlighten us Washingtonians more on corn and other things I want to ask you about. Salt water pools, sushi, etc... etc.. etc.

[M] said...

Sounds like fun! I'll be there the 9th through the 25th...

Jesse said...

M-A, you should try it, you might like it. :) My Marianne loves The Tour. We both become couch potatoes for the entire month of July every year. This will be our 6th year straight. Soul!

~ Jesse