Jul 6, 2007

Mango Mania

I went through a mango phase in my early 20's. It was a borderline obsession. I spent my summers trying to find deals on mangoes, and then trying to invent masterful mango recipes. I made mango muffins, mango sauce for crepes, mango salsa, mango smoothies, mango salads, mango everything... It was a love affair. I even decided to study abroad in the Dominican Republic because I knew mangoes grew there in wild abundance. And I suppose to learn a little Spanish. Little did I know they have their own crazy version of Spanish that is barely comprehensible.

Back to mangoes. My life was made so much easier when I came across a Martha article that illustrated the correct way to cut a mango. It works like magic every time. I was, ironically, probably the last person to learn about this, but I thought I would post some pics anyway in case anyone is experiencing mango cutting frustration.


Yesterday I was at Sprouts (our local market) and saw a sign that read "mangoes--6 for a $1.00" I wanted to run to the mango bin but I couldn't because for a brief moment I died and went to mango heaven. When I came to, I grabbed a plastic bag and started filling it as fast as I could. I was the only non-Asian in the mango war zone. We were all squeezing and smelling the mangoes, and loading them into our carts as fast as we could. J-P came over and saw the bags full of mangoes in the cart and said "Um, are you really going to eat all those?" I gave him the 'how dare you ask me that' glare and said "did you see the price?" He shrugged and I continued my scavenge through the mango pile until all the good ones were safely stowed in my cart.

Mango season is just about over, and pretty soon we will have to pay $1.89 for a mango that doesn't even taste good. Get yours while you still can.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, you crack me up. You would get along well with my husband Kyle. When we went to Costa Rica I had to plan an extra hour of travel time every where we went becuase he pulled over anytime he saw a mango tree. He would get all of the mangos off the ground, load them in sacks, and then eat them throughout the day. We also pulled over to many road side stands so he could buy the huge ones. Our rental car smelt like a mango orchard. He taught me to cut them like you demonstrated. So much easier!

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

I've never had a mango in my life. Sounds like I'm missing out.

[M] said...

That's funny about Kyle. I'm telling you, there is nothing better than a mango picked right off of the tree. They are divine. There are tons of different varieties, but only 2 are available in markets. I but you guys found some great ones.

Sara, I can't believe I've never fed you mangoes at my house. Probably cause they weren't in season...they are only good ripe.

Alicia Leppert said...

I can totally picture you frantically rummaging through the mango bin with all the Asians! I really like mango, but I don't eat it very much. I'll have to try a fresh one again.