Mar 14, 2007

9 month update

(if you have an email subscription to Max's updates, just scroll down to the previous entries for the latest haps at Chez Scoville)


There is one word that can be used to describe Max this month: picky. He is so particular. What is he particular about? Let’s start with books. Thanks to friends and family, Max has a large collection of books. Sadly, he only likes 8 of them. We call it his top 8. If we try to read Max a book that is not on his top 8, he throws a tantrum like a two-year-old. The good news is I have them all memorized. Word for word. If you want to hear “Hop on Pop” Mary Ann-style, just give me a call. I’m pretty good.

Max’s caretaker of choice is J-P. He loves his “da da da da.” If J-P walks into the room and doesn’t go directly to Max to pick him up, he starts wailing like his heart is broken. If J-P puts him down, he cries. If J-P leaves the room, he cries. If J-P ignores him, he cries. If I am holding him and he can see J-P, he starts flapping his arms and squealing in delight. If I don’t hand him over to his dad…you guessed it, he cries.

Max is very picky about food. In fact, he is an oatmealitarian. He will eat oatmeal until he throws up. Our pediatrician pointed out that overeating was probably causing his vomiting episodes, not the stomach flu. At one point we were even suspicious that bulimia was a hobby of his. One of his favorite activities includes, but is not limited to: sticking his fingers down his throat and making loud, dramatic gagging noises. I think he loves to see me jump up and run to him with panic in my eyes because as soon as I pull his hand out he starts laughing his head off.

Thanks to some coaxing from his crawling coach (me, the second favorite), Max started cruising on all fours a few days before his 9 month birthday. I’m sure he is so glad to be done with my daily crawling therapy. Now it’s time for walking, I bet he can’t wait for those lessons.

Arizona is hot. Today we hit the 90’s. That means we are counting down to pool time! Aside from the sizzle, J-P and I are doing well. We hardly get to see J-P because he is traveling so much for work. On the bright side, we won’t have to buy shampoo for, like, the next five years—our stockpile of hotel toiletries is ginormous.

Until next month,

Mary Ann, J-P, and Max.

5 comments:

dandee said...

What a fun age! I love that Max has a parent preference. Don't be offended by it, all of my children have gone through the same thing. DO they care that I was the one that went through the pregnancy, labor and delivery? No, they just want Daddy.

Andrea said...

Hi Mary Ann, I'm your personal blog-stalker/friend of JP's from BYU. Anyways I would love to compare stockpiles of hotel toiletries - surely we could at least take second place!! Just when I thought I was the only girl in the world whose bathroom cupboards were overflowing with tiny plastic bottles...

Shells said...

I can almost hear Max laughing in his picture. What a cutie.

[M] said...

Welcome to the blog Annie, I've heard a lot about you guys...glad to know we are not the only hotel toiletry hoarders:)

Chelsea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.