Feb 10, 2011

an update

"You have to look up Ian..."
Hello. We're alive. And well. It's been a busy month. Full of business trips, teething babies (all four molars, ouch!), the flu, family coming to visit, and more. J-P has been going to lots of appointments (physical therapy, acupuncture, cortisone/epidural shots, etc) to try and help his back. Nothing seems to be working that well, so he has an appointment scheduled with the neurosurgeon. His MRI showed bulging/herniated discs, and one that "is exploding over and dripping down his spinal column". Whatever that means. Between all the appointments and his busy work schedule, things have been a little crazy around here.

I have had a lot on my mind. Namely, kindergarten registration. And peanut allergies. And sending my highly allergic child to public school. In short, I'm terrified. I have been staying up late researching cures and treatments. And I'm trying everything. Right now doctors at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in NY are curing peanut anaphylaxis with a Chinese herbal formula. The formula is in stage two of clinical trials, but probably won't be released for another 10 years. I got a copy of the ingredients, and J-P's acupunturist said he would make it for Max. We'll see how it goes.

I have also been doing a lot of research on different health conditions for family and friends. During these late nights, I discovered something called a MTHFR gene polymorphism. And I think a lot of people in our family might have it. It basically means that we don't detox properly. Sooo...I have been doing lots of crazy things like driving all the way across Phoenix to buy a 50lb. bag of clay so we can take detox baths. I have been doing regular epsom salt baths for the kids as well. I have been giving Max milk thistle, among other things. I have also tweaked our diet a little more. I know, it sounds like I am certifiably crazy. But let me tell you, I have seen a HUGE difference. HUGE. The dark circles under Max and Ian's eyes are gone. Their moods are fantastic. They just seem healthier. Which makes me happy.

In other news, Max is still loving preschool. I thought he was going to explode with excitement over his Valentine's party today. He woke up, quickly put on a red shirt (per his teacher's suggestion), and asked me over and over "is it time for preschool yet?" He has also been saying funny things about babies. "Mom, I think we should get another baby. Because I like babies. And I think grandma likes them too. And I think we should name it Fleewah. Ok?" If only I had a magic wand to make our house bigger. Or turn the economy around. With our house being worth less than half of what we payed for it, we won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Which I try not to think about.

Oh, and if you have a curious mind and want to read about the MTHFR mutation, clay, etc. I wrote about it HERE.

2 comments:

Kathryn M said...

Wish we could come visit! Glad everyone is thriving and happy! Oh and mud was my favorite thing to play in as a child, who needs dolls when you have all that great gushy stuff?

dandee said...

I was just thinking about you and wondering how you've been. Thanks for the update. :) Glad to hear everyone is well, and I hope JP figures out his back issue soon.