Nov 14, 2010

moose party




My sweet little Eanie Bean turned three. I have been asking him for the last month what kind of party he wanted to have, and EVERY time his response was the same: I want a green moose party! I had no idea how he knew what a moose was. I was sure he had it confused with another animal. Every time I asked him what present he wanted, his response was the same: a moose wrapped in a box. I looked and looked and couldn't find a toy moose anywhere. I would wait a couple days and ask him again, hoping he would forget about the moose. He never did. His moose excitement grew, as did my perplexity concerning his moose enthusiasm.

One day I was deep cleaning his bedroom, and I found a small toy moose under his bed (pictured above). I quickly remembered that we picked it out of the grab-bag section at goodwill months ago. That was the last time I had seen it. I found Ian and said, "look what I found!" With the most exuberant little smile I have ever seen, he exclaimed "my MOOSE!!!!!" I had no idea he had such an affinity for moose.

My hopes of planning a fabulous green moose party didn't come to fruition, as we have been really busy and had family in town. On the afternoon of his birthday, I started making his cupcakes. He looked around the room and said "mom, where's my flags?" He was referring to the last minute birthday banners that I usually throw together for birthdays. I quickly pulled out every last sheet of greenish paper and did the best I could. Max and Grandpa walked to walgreens to pick up some party supplies and candles (thanks grandpa!), and we pulled off the green moose party before the day was over. One of these days I'll get my ducks in a row and be able to plan ahead. Ian's cousin Braden gave him a stuffed moose (from his personal collection), and his smile/expression when he opened it was the most priceless thing ever. My camera wasn't fast enough to capture it. I don't think I've ever seen him so happy.

Happy Birthday Ian, we love you!

1 comment:

Kathryn M said...

That is the cutest and funniest thing I have read in a long time! Happy Birthday Ian!