Nov 5, 2009

week one

Week one was WILD. We had our bags packed so we could check out of the hospital as soon as possible. The baby is required to stay 24 hours, and we didn't stay a second longer. J-P basically dropped us off at home and then drove to the airport to catch his red-eye for North Carolina.

It was a long week.


I got to do things that I have never done before, like change meconium diapers. The day or so after I got home from the hospital (it's all a blur), I got stung by a scorpion. On my birthday. I can officially say it was the WORST birthday ever.
After spending time on the phone with poison control, I decided not to go to the ER (against my mother's wishes to rush me there). Instead, I laid on the couch in tears as the pain intensified for six hours. The pain/numbness SLOWLY subsided over the next 3-4 days. Between the scorpion fiasco (which left me unable to walk), 48 hours of no sleep, and toddler meltdowns, my mother and I were totally and completely frazzled. My dad flew in to rescue us, and arrived just in time.

Ava weathered week one like a champ. She is SO sweet. She rarely cries, nurses with gusto, and gives the sweetest hugs. She had a rough first few days coughing, gagging, and gurgling up the gulp of amniotic fluid that she inhaled on her way out, but is doing much better. She is growing FAST. Her cheeks are growing exponentially. I'm curious to see how much she has gained...we'll find out tomorrow at her two week appointment.

7 comments:

jlthomas said...

Oh, Mary Ann! What a horrible week! I'm so glad Scorpions don't live here! Your little Ava is a doll and I'm glad she was an angel for you! Hope things improve immensely!

dandee said...

A SCORPION! Alright, someone hand this woman the mom of the year award quick!

Ava is a doll.

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Ava is beautiful and, you're right, she does look like J-P.

Always love a good birthing story and glad J-P & the doc made it in time.

So sorry to hear about the terrible first week. Glad you guys survived it all!

Jessica said...

What a nightmare. So glad you're doing well. At least your baby barely cries. She must have donated all of her crying genes to my baby.

Kathryn M said...

At least you have an adorable baby to enjoy through all of the suffering. Can't wait to hold her this Christmas!

Shells said...

You must know what is on my list of worst fears, because you keep going through them: hard deliveries (I'm referring to Max), allergy attacks, ER visits, scorpians. Just don't let any intruders into your house, because that is like the only one on my list that you haven't experienced yet.

Susan said...

craziest story ever. your baby girl is to die for and she has me wanting a newborn something fierce. ahh, those lips and cheeks..how do you get anything done? i would be kissing her all day.