Nov 19, 2009

eanie bean

Ian turned two last week. We went in for his two year check-up. It went fantastic. Sort of. Ian sat perfectly still, and followed all of the doctor's/nurse's instructions. The doctor kept making comments like "wow, if only all the children were this good for their check-ups", "what an easy-going kid", etc. Then he asked Ian a question. Ian stared at him blankly and gave no response.

doc: how is his talking?

me: oh, he talks really well. he was talking in sentences at 18 months.

doc: so, how many words can he say...at least 50?

me: oh, yeah. hundreds. he says everything. he talks almost as well as my three-year-old.


The doctor proceeded to ask Ian a slew of questions. He stared blankly. No answer. I prodded him to say something. And nothing. Not a peep. The doctor looked at me with a skeptic smile. I assured him again that he really does talk and we moved on with the exam. After he left the room Ian exploded into conversation--"that's a nice doctor mommy...he sat on that stool mommy...did he listen to my heart mommy?...are we at the doctor's mommy?..."

While he is a very talented talker, coordination is not his strong suit. Yet. He is pretty klutzy. And spills a lot. Yesterday he grabbed my piping hot cup of pero and spilled it all over himself. He came and found me, calmly pointed out the saturated spot on his pajamas and said "uh, I just got burned mommy." Today we had chicken soup for dinner. He made such a mess that I took his shirt off. But then he wanted seconds. He dripped everywhere. When he noticed a drop of soup sliding down his stomach, he looked at me confused and said "uh, mommy...my tummy is crying!"

Ian is hilarious. He is a peacemaker. He is easygoing. He is very affectionate. He eats everything I make and always asks for more. He sleeps great. In many ways he is the perfect child. In other ways he is very much a terrible two. He keeps us on our toes and makes us laugh. We are so glad he is part of our fam.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Ian is so cute it hurts.