Nov 5, 2008

Prop 102 passed!

I was scared to death to go hold my sign yesterday. I was sure I would be egged, punched, harassed, or that my vehicle would be vandalized. You see, that's what these "seekers of tolerance" are doing to the supporters of prop 8 and 102. I decided to take Ian with me. I figured nobody would hurt a woman with a baby. I was right. We survived unscathed.

Why am I putting myself in the face of such heated opposition? Is it because I hate gays? Is it because I have nothing else to do and want to go have people yell at me? No. Not at all. I am fighting for the right to practice my religion. I am fighting for the rights of my children and unborn children to do the same. I am asking for my religious views to be tolerated. We do not oppose same-sex couples having similar rights to married couples. We oppose the legal redefinition of the spiritual and sacred term of marriage. We oppose judges who would tell us to redefine marriage and include homosexual marriage into our religious practice. We oppose judges who would force public school teachers to include homosexuality into the curriculum, or force anyone to condone homosexuality against their will.

This country was founded "under God" by wise, deeply religious people seeking religious liberty. The first amendment of the constitution "prohibits the United States Congress from making laws that prohibit the free exercise of religion". The United states is a very religious country (about 80 % Christian, with only 15% of the population in the no religion/atheist/agnostic category). Proposition 8 and 102 have nothing to do with intolerance or discrimination. Legalizing same-sex marriage infringes upon the religious liberties of the majority(don't believe me, read this). Changing the laws to favor a very small minority, and subsequently taking away the rights of a very large majority makes no sense at all.

My religious convictions run very deep. My religion provides purpose and direction in my life. As a result of living by its tenets, I am blissfully happy. My only hope is that all citizens would have the liberty to pursue a belief system that makes them equally as happy.

Oh, and I would like to publicly thank Barack Obama for helping prop 8 to pass in California. He inspired record African American turnout at the polls, and they (7 out of 10) voted yes on prop 8 in California.

p.s. here is a video that shows how "tolerant" the opposition has been...most of the violence has not been publicized. you would not believe some of the things that have happened.

7 comments:

Chelsea said...

I love that you took your baby with you to not get egged.

I'm so happy that it passed!

blindblogger said...

Not only are your posts interesting to reading, your comments (and those of others on your blog) are as well. Voted most interesting comments in Blog world from me.

Sarah said...

I love the way you worded all that. We here in Florida had prop 2 to support. Luckily it passed as well. I sometimes felt confused, like am I telling someone they don't deserve just as much happiness as me just because they choose a different lifestyle. I can never quite put my thoughts into words, but I totally agree with you and appreciate the way you say it. I just need to remember it if I ever have to explain how I feel! I was so worried about the repercussions if these didn't pass. Thank goodness our country still has some values! Thanks for going to hold a sign!

Anonymous said...

This topic hits close to home for me. My brother who lives a gay life says he is the happiest he has ever been. That is hard for my mom to hear. A few months ago I shared my thoughts on his happiness with her. He cannot be so happy because happiness is a good thing. And we know all good things come of Christ. What he has is not of Christ but of the adversary, the great deceiver and mimicker, therefore he is being deprived of real happiness.

Sorry to get on my soap box.

Kevin and Celeste Christiansen said...

Mary Ann I am so glad you found me. you have such a cute little family. I posted some memories for you on my blog. check it out. love ya, Celeste

Kevin and Celeste Christiansen said...

MA - Maybe someday we can all get together and dance. I think that Laurie's married name is Thomas and Emily's i think is Cannon but that is all I can find on them. Thanks for your comments on Prop 102, being a CA girl, I studied and prayed a lot about Prop 8. Glad it passed.

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

In answer to your question on my blog - celery & nuts. Look forward to what you have to offer. :o)