Nov 10, 2008

policital unrest

I thought that after the elections were over I would be able to relax. I thought the election hoopla would end. I thought the vandalism would end. We would accept the will of the people, put our differences aside, and move forward. Simple as that. That's what I was planning to do.

I didn't see the backlash coming. At all.

Now that it is in full force, I can't seem to pull myself away from the news coverage. I need to check myself into news junkie rehab. Seriously, I go to bed WAY too late. After hearing lots of horrible things, it's refreshing to read things like this. This was also interesting. The worst that has happened (that i know of) in our neighborhood is someone setting fire to the dumpster next to our chapel during church. I am regretting not pulling Max out of nursery to see the fire truck. He would have loved it.

Mitt Romney 2012 anyone?

p.s. the church's official statement is here

6 comments:

Shells said...

I need to join the same news junkie rehab. I also find myself looking at prop 8 news way too much. It's very disappointing to read all of the lies and just plain stupid things people are trying to do to the LDS Church. Boycott Utah, where only 50% of the population is LDS? Advocate punishing people who are not LDS and have nothing to do with California's amendment? Just one of the many stupid things people are doing in the name of tolerance.

Shells said...

Utah is 72% LDS (I just read the newsrelease this morning).

[M] said...

But Salt Lake and Park City (the major destinations) have a way lower percentage than the rest of the state. Last time i checked SL was around 40%. I bet park city is lower.

Brynn said...

Great article. I too have been obsessed with the happenings. But so much good is coming from all of the bad. A friend, who is an LAPD officer, was at the LA Temple during the protest. And since, has been asked questions about our church by many on his force. We have received public "Thank you"s from lots of people like Dennis Pregger and even Huckabee himself. What these gay activists are doing is uniting the Christian world, and I want to thank them for that!

Jessica said...

Sad and scary stuff. :(

I was living in California during prop 22 and had to do a lot of the stuff you guys did to support prop 8, and I was shocked when it passed, given how against us everyone seemed. I'm surprised 8 passed too. I don't really see this ending. I wonder how everything will turn out.

Alicia Leppert said...

Wow. I feel so sheltered up here in WA, I had no idea the extent you all are going through. I am so sorry. It is painful to see the pictures and read the articles. I've never had to stand up for my beliefs in that way, where my safety was at risk, and I am so proud of those of you who are doing it. I could say that I hope it will all end soon, but sadly enough I think it is just a sign of the times. Thanks for keeping all us northerners updated on this, M-A. I know what to pray for tonight.