Jun 27, 2008

lavender intoxication

There was an accident at our house last night. A bad one. Our trader joe's laundry soap jumped off of its perch on the washer and exploded onto the floor. We both ran from room to room, checking on the kids and trying to identify the source of the noise. When we got to the laundry room we saw 64 loads worth of soap oozing towards us. Without thinking we threw down a bunch of towels to stop it in its path. Bad move. We were not thinking about the repercussions of putting 64 loads worth of soap in one load of laundry. As a precaution I started to rinse out the towels in the bathtub first. Bad move again. Within seconds we had a gazillion million bubbles all the way up to the ceiling. They kept multiplying until I was drowning in bubbles and gasping for air.*

Did I mention the soap was filled with lavender essential oil? Did I mention that I almost died from inhaling 64 loads worth of essential oil?


After much coughing, gasping, light-headedness, and shortness of breath, I came out to warn J-P of the seriousness of the situation. "Um, yeah, so there is a pretty good chance I'm gonna pass out so if you hear me fall you should probably come check on me. I could also die from lavender intoxication." He was expressionless and absorbed in the computer.
He didn't even look up from the email he was writing. After a long pause he said "ok." I stomped back to the danger zone, pushed aside the thick bubbles that had engulfed the bathroom, and finished the job.
On a positive note, yesterday I finally had success with sweet potato french fries. I have been making them for years, but can never get them quite right. Feeling inspired by the orient, I mixed together some turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, pepper, a pinch of cayenne, some sugar and sprinkled it on. Fifteen minutes and 425 degrees later-- out came sweet potato perfection.

*Disclaimer: Last summer J-P told me that I should add "based on a true story" to our blog header because of my tendency to exaggerate the details. I feel like I only tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth, but I suppose that once in a while he might be right. I think the Spanish word verosimil (close to the truth) would be an accurate description of my depictions.

3 comments:

J-P said...

This is quite a stretch...I wouldn't even say it was verosimil. Closer to fable than fact if you ask me.

Alicia Leppert said...

That's quite a story. I would never have believed spilled detergent would cause such chaos, but as I read the story, I realized why it would cause such problems. Glad you didn't die of lavender intoxication, but what a way to go, huh?

~Sarah said...

You exaggerate? I don't believe it. That is quite the experience you had and I'm glad you didn't die.

That's cool you made some yummy sweet potato french fries. They sound delicious.