Jun 9, 2008

fruit leather mania

...So all of this business with the economy, gas prices, house foreclosures, airline drama, etc. has increased my already existent paranoia. I think way too much. About everything. Lately I've been thinking about food storage. We have some, but not enough. I want more. Lots more. I've also been thinking about budgeting. How can I cut back on our food budget and still maintain a highly nutritious diet, all whilst adding to our food storage? The answer came to me one day like a coconut falling from a tree: a food dehydrator. Here is the transcript from a conversation we had a few days ago.

me(out of nowhere): I'm buying a food dehydrator. It's non-negotiable and not open for discussion.
j-p
(puzzled): Um...ok?
me: Good. I'm glad we're on the same page. Let's go get it right now.
I dug one of those Bed Bath and Beyond 20% coupons out of the trash and headed to make my purchase. The epiphany, conversation, and purchase all took place in a 3 hour time frame last Friday. Since then, I have been making fruit leather and drying fruit. My first batch of fruit leather was blueberry/marionberry/raspberry/apple. Today I whipped up a batch of strawberry/peach/apricot and cantaloupe/mango/apple. Max is in fruit leather heaven.

3 comments:

Shells said...

I love fruit leather. My parents used to make it with cans of fruit that had been sitting on our shelves for too long. We also slice up fresh apples and make apple chips.

When Mike saw the pictures of Max, he said "mess, mess."

I've been meaning to invite you over these last six weeks, but either Mike or I have been sick. I currently have a cold, my second this month. I'm wondering if maybe there is something in our house making us sick, or rather, if my parents warnings about not eating vegetables are true. ;)

Alicia Leppert said...

Fruit leather was the biggest treat when we were little. I didn't even know you could get dehydrators at regular stores like B,B&B. This post made me think of an episode of Friends where Chandler's psycho roommate starts dehydrating food like crazy. So funny.

Mama Apes... said...

Fruit leather.. my kids love it too! I tend to buy the costco cheep way out, then finding myself hording it all for myself. What a mean mom right..? but would love for you to post the recipe or at least how you make it!!