Sep 1, 2010

lately...


Max: Look mom, my arms are black!
Me: So that's where my mascara went!

Max: (uncontrollable giggling)

Me: Uh oh. You can't go to preschool looking like that.

Max: (wide-eyed, panicked) Don't worry mom, I'll wash it off before it starts...I promise!


I have been very overwhelmed lately. I am on a mission to do the impossible: cure my family's allergies. I have been spending every spare second I have (and some I don't) reading, researching, scouring the internet, joining online discussion groups, looking into alternative treatments.


My conclusion: something is making us sick. The explosion of food allergies, ASD (austism, asperger's, ADD/ADHD), autoimmune disease (M.S., fibromyalgia, celiac, crohn's, u.c., diabetes, arthritis, asthma), cancer, infertility, etc. is making my head spin.


My friend's 3-year-old son is going in for a colonoscopy because they suspect ulcerative colitis/celiac. Three years old! --My sweet little 3-month-old nephew had to be hospitalized due to complication of eczema. --Way too many of my friends have only been able to get pregnant with the help of medical intervention. --My sister-in-law teaches the 3-year-olds at church and has two children with autism in her small class (It amazes me how inspiration in our church works...nobody knew she has a masters in special ed and more patience for children than anyone I know).--I lost track of how many of my relatives have asthma.


Just the other day I was in the waiting area at our ped's office, and glanced over to the "sick" side. I saw a girl whose face was red and swollen like a tomato, and her entire body was covered with hives. It was the worst allergic reaction I had ever seen. I rushed over to her, ready to pull out my epi-pen and save the day. "Honey, can you breath ok?" She couldn't talk, just glared at me and continued to itch furiously. Her mom was clueless (like I used to be when I told our ped. that Max's hives were flea bites--he had to hold in the laughter as he explained allergic reactions to me).

In short: something is wrong! Something has to be causing all of this, and I am determined to find the root cause. I will do anything I can to prevent my family from acquiring these illnesses (since we seem to be genetically susceptible). I started a blog to organize my finds (with tabs). And so I don't have to email them all to my mom, she can just check the blog (are reading this mom?). I will try to post recipes (or links to recipes) for those out there that are struggling with the same issues that we are.

3 comments:

Kathryn M said...

Way to go MA!! I will be sure to send people to your blog as well because I already have sent out your link about your post on GF! You are amazing :)

Jackie said...

Wow! chica ---thank you thank you un beso! mom!

Krista said...

Mary Ann, what a blessing you are to so many of us. Ashley's sweet little boy has terrible itching and he is only 11 months old. He's miserable. I'm sending her your blog. Thank you.