Sep 7, 2010

Eanie Bean


I really love this kid. Between taking care of a new baby this past year and trying to figure out Max's allergy issues, he hasn't gotten the attention he should have. He has been doing a great job of drawing attention to himself lately...pulling every terrible-two tactic imaginable. Even permanent black marker on my white kitchen cabinets. Sigh.

I'm now trying to make up for it by spending special time with him while Max is in preschool. He is so smart, and loves to figure things out. He can grab his dad's iphone, and pull up his favorite youtube bicycling video in just a few seconds. He has a great memory. If something is missing, I always go straight to him because he remembers where everything is...even if it is in a really obscure place.

Right now he is trying to figure out familial titles. I was sitting on the couch talking to a friend the other day, and he came over, looked at her and said very matter-of-factly "Mary Ann is my mother...and that's Ava. She's my daughter". It caught me off guard. I had never heard him say my name, and only ever heard him refer to me as "mommy". Today when he was looking for Max he said "mommy, where's my daddy's other son?" And then at lunch he said "Mary Ann?...are you...mommy?" After I responded in the affirmative, he said "Your name is Mary Ann, but we just call you mommy." As if he was thinking out loud--putting it together.

Yesterday he pointed to a word with two lower case "i's" in it. He said, "see these i's, they stand for Ian!" Which amazed me because I haven't started to teach him letters (bad mom, I know), and he has only seen his name with a capital "I". TV I'm guessing?

I love to watch the wheels churn in his cute little head as he figures things out. Sometimes I forget that he is still two.

No comments: