May 26, 2010

what we eat

First, I will admit that the gf/cf diet isn't as daunting to me because I quit buying dairy products three years ago.

What we eat
: fruit, vegetables, corn, rice, potatoes, quinoa, oats*, beans, meat (mostly fish) and eggs. We also go through a lot of rice milk and coconut milk. Some sample meals below...
*most people on a gluten-free diet don't eat oats because of cross-contamination with wheat.

BREAKFAST: Steel cut oats or oatmeal with rice milk and honey/brown sugar. We often put in raisins while it's cooking and add a little cinnamon. I try to cut up fruit or make a fruit smoothie. We also eat potatoes and eggs (not max), or corn chex/rice crispies (generic corn chex have gluten) with rice milk and a banana when we are in a hurry. Rice milk does not taste bad in cereal.

SNACK: Smoothies, fruit, chips and salsa, hummus, bean dip, guacamole, popcorn, dried fruit, kid's cliff bars (cheapest at sam's club, target), applesauce (no sugar added)

LUNCH: Lots of soups and stews (chili, chicken with rice/vegetables, italian sausage with potato, black bean, chicken tortilla, lentil...), "tacos" with (soft) corn tortillas--we do many varieties, beans and rice, leftovers from the night before, salads...


DINNER: Thai chicken curry (coconut milk and veggies) with rice, pot roast, salmon with asparagus + rice, turkey meatloaf with mashed potatoes, sushi rolls (with cooked salmon), salmon cakes, rotisserie chicken with roasted potatoes/vegetables, polenta with tomato sauce, beans and rice with avocados + tomatoes, salads, etc.
I try to get inspiration from countries that don't eat wheat or dairy. I use a LOT of garlic.

DESSERT: Rice crispie treats, Belguim dark Chocolate, Kettle corn, "Ice Cream", pina coladas, gluten-free cookies on occasion, etc.


I use Rice milk (we stay away from unfermented soy products) and a butter substitute (smart balance light is dairy-free, and earth balance is great...we stay away from toxic things like crisco and margarine) in things like mashed potatoes, rice crispie treats, etc. and can't tell much of a difference. We eat smoothies with almost every meal. I have a vitamix (a blender with magical powers) that does many tricks. I use it to make the kids ice cream out of Rice milk and frozen fruit. I also freeze coconut milk and make chocolate coconut ice cream.

I will say that going off gluten and dairy is PAINFUL. I almost died on day three of this diet. My cravings were so bad I had the shakes. I ate SO much, yet I was never satisfied and always hungry. Over a week later I'm fine and actually craving vegetables instead of cinnamon rolls. I have already noticed a difference in Ava (she no longer screams her lungs out in the car, willingly stays on her tummy, and does a lot more babbling), so I'm motivated to keep going.

The theory is that when one does not produce sufficient enzymes to digest gluten (wheat protein) and casein (dairy protein), the partially digested proteins form peptide opiates (think heroin, morphine) that create a euphoria, yet are toxic and harm the brain. They also disrupt digestion and the absorption of other nutrients. These peptides have been found in the urine of people with schizophrenia, autism, and celiac disease. Anyway, children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, food allergies, ADD/ADHD are notoriously picky eaters. Many are addicted (as are many people in general) to wheat/dairy combos (because of the euphoric feeling) like cereal, mac n cheese, pizza, quesadillas, cookies and milk, grilled cheese sandwiches, bread with butter or cheese, goldfish crackers, cake and ice cream, etc. It is theorized that alcoholics suffer from celiac/gluten intolerance as there is gluten in beer.

Read THIS. And more explanation Here.

p.s. This is my favorite lunch lately: I sautee crushed garlic in olive oil for a minute then add chopped tomatoes (vine ripened) and spinach. I sautee that for a while and then dump a can or two of white (great northern) beans and cook a little longer. Add a dash of salt and a dash of cayenne. I brush oil on a stack of corn tortillas and stick them in the micro for a minute. Then we have "tacos". Sometimes I add mushrooms or spicy chicken italian sausage. I make up different "taco" recipes all the time. The kids love them.

4 comments:

JJ said...

Thanks for all of the information! I'm going to print this out and hang it on my fridge as inspiration! I don't think I can (or want) to do totally dairy/wheat free, but I do need to try to start cutting back and see what it does for my body...

dandee said...

this is really great information. thank you so much for sharing.

Unknown said...

Thank you very much Great post…thanks for share this.

Alison Ashley said...

You're so inspiring! I'm slowly revamping the Ashley diet and am loving your insights. I just made a rice salad the other night that I think fits your diet, if you'd like the recipe. I love reading about your family adventures. CUTE kids! And one heck-of-a creative mom. I wanna be just like you when I grow up!