Mar 14, 2010

motherhood

If there were an award for world's worst mother, I would definitely win it this week. Here's a snippet...

I was in the backyard weeding on Friday while the boys were playing and Ava was napping. Max brought it to my attention that he needed to use the bathroom, and disappeared into the house. He came back out, and the next thing I knew he and Ian were sitting in the grass giggling. I continued on my weeding rampage--a much needed stress release after a crazy week. A while later J-P came out to see how we were doing. He loudly alerted me to the fact that Max was holding an almost empty bottle of vitamins and both boys were happily chewing away. After a lengthy conversation with poison control, it was determined that they would probably be ok. Although they can't have any more vitamins for at least a month. The nice lady at poison control congratulated me for buying all natural, dye-free, iron-free vitamins. Thank you Trader Joe's.


Part of the reason the week was so rough was because I got zero sleep. Ava cried all night long just about every night. She didn't have a fever and didn't seem sick. I had no idea what was wrong. Her reflux/gas was worse than normal, but I knew there had to be something else. In the middle of the night on Friday I racked my brain as I tried to console her. The thought came to me (inspiration to-be-sure) to look into the new prescription toothpaste that I had just started using this week. I commenced with a google investigation, and on the company's website it said "Do NOT use while breastfeeding." Bingo. I quit using it and she slept much better last night.


While I am grateful for creative, busy, curious, resourceful, problem-solving children, I am not so happy that they can open child locks on cabinets and child safety lids on medicine bottles. There is no resting or blinking around these parts. There is, however, lots of crafting. I don't really have time to make things, but it is a great distraction from all the hoopla, and has proved very therapeutic. This morning I made Ava's orange headband and a couple of brooches to wear to church. Inspired by the lovely video on katespade.com. Tutorial for the flowers here.

3 comments:

jlthomas said...

Love the flowers and the yellow cardigan, so cute! I've had to call poison control before too. My two year old figured out how to open my prenatal vitamins, luckily I think he ate just one.

Jessica said...

SO appreciate the link to the tutorial. Haha, you were probably like, if I post the cool things I made, Jessica will just bug me about how to do it, so best to nip that in the bud. :)

TOTALLY wish we lived closer so we could make stuff together!!

Shells said...

Have you tried the tot locks (they're magnets). Not even an adult can get into your cupboard without the special magnet. They are kind of pricy and not the easiest to install, but so worth it! I have them on every cabinet, including the bathrooms.

I hope this week went better for you!