Nov 1, 2007

Variations on a theme

...So our desktop computer contracted a deadly virus and, well, died. Since J-P has been working around the clock on grad school applications (on the lap-top), I have had minimal access to the internet. No fun for me. He finished and submitted the last one today, so I stole his computer and locked myself in the office to do some much needed blogging and on-line shopping. Oh how a stay-at-home mom needs her connection to the outside world.


Lately, I have been preoccupied with food. One day I will make a batch of pumpkin cookies, and then eat the whole batch. In one day. No joke. The next day I feel fat and guilty and cook up a storm of vegetables. After a couple days of eating vegetables, I crave sweets and make cookies again. After I've polished off a dozen or so, I ask J-P to hide them from me. A few hours later I am ready for another cookie and I throw a royal pregnant tantrum when J-P won't tell me where he hid them. After a series of threats he gives in and let's me have at least one more. The next day I feel guilty and run to the store to buy vegetables. On my vegetable days, I have been making soup. It's an easy way to eat a lot of vegetables at once, and there is something about eating soup in the fall that makes me happy. Even if it is 90 degrees outside. I have been making a lot of different versions of butternut squash soup. Some are good, some are gross...hopefully I'll perfect my recipe soon. My last attempt was a curried butternut squash soup with sauteed mushrooms, kale, and onions. I had to exercise a lot of self-control not to eat all of the curried mushrooms while the squash was roasting. Next time around I'll dump in a handful of cayenne to see if I can kick-start labor.


In other Chez Scoville news, we had a fun Halloween chatting with friends and neighbors on our bishop's driveway. In AZ a lot of people have homemade chili potluck parties on their driveway because the weather is so nice. Everyone brings their candy and passes it out from their camping chair. Much more fun than answering the door every three minutes. I didn't dress up, but fooled a few people. My favorite comment of the night: "Oh, are you supposed to be a pregnant lady or something?" Runner up comment: "Is that a costume? (as they pointed to my belly)" I chose to be practical instead of creative this year, so Max got to wear Halloween pajamas.

1 comment:

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Note to self: Do not read Chez Scoville blog when nauseas. Talk of food es no beuno.