Oct 30, 2010

Ava's Tea Party








One of my biggest fears in life was that I would never have a daughter. I wanted one so badly. Since the day I saw her kicking around in the ultrasound, I have been the happiest girl in the world. I love my boys dearly, but there is something special about having a girl. Right after I brought her home from the hospital I was stung by a scorpion. My immediate thought was, "I finally had a girl, and now I am going to die. I knew this was too good to be true."

I have always loved all things feminine. Some of my happiest childhood memories are smelling the soaps and lotions that my dad brought me from Crabtree and Evelyn after business trips, and flipping through the pages of Victoria magazine that my grandma always got me a subscription for. I have been dreaming of planning the perfect tea party my whole life. I knew that Ava's first birthday would be my first chance to have one. I was hoping to pull off something 'a la Marie Antoinette' complete with a vintage vibe and glittery butterflies.

But alas Ava's first birthday came and went, and nary a thought was put towards planning a party. Life has been too busy. Last night I decided I would regret not planning a pretty party to celebrate one of the happiest years of my life, so I ran to the dollar store to buy some pink tablecloths. Then I ran to Costco and bought flowers. I woke up this morning, polished my thrift store silver, and pulled out my dusty tea cups. Then I pulled out my cookbook and picked three recipes at random. I only had to run to the store for eggs. We just invited family. Partly because last minute text message invitations violate etiquette, but also because I didn't want to force people to eat our dairy-free, gluten-free food.

The Menu: chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting, banana cupcakes with maple vanilla frosting, chocolate chip scones with fresh raspberries, chocolate covered strawberries, and meringues. Hot apple cider, sparkling lemonade, Martinelli, and San Pellegrino to drink.

Happy Birthday to my sweet, beautiful little girl. We love you to pieces.

(more pics on flickr)

5 comments:

Marianne said...

I can't believe your cute girl is already one! I love how the tea party was last minute and thrown together. It looks better than anything I could do with oodles of planning. :)

Paula -- CutieFruity said...

Oh my word, Mary Ann! CUTEST HOUSE EVER!

Kathryn M said...

I would have loved to have tea and anyone of those treats that you were serving!Happy Birthday Ava!

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

I'm so glad you FINALLY got to have the Tea Party you've been dreaming of since before you were even pregnant with Max. It looks like it was a beautiful success!

ecuakim said...

The pictures are gorgeous. The house is gorgeous. The "tea" is gorgeous. The family is gorgeous. So happy for you! :) (No need to apologize for a family-only party; those are the best kind!)