Jun 6, 2010

Sunday



Every Sunday we go through the same routine. Wake up, eat, get ready for church. Every Sunday I pick out Ava's outfit, and decide she needs a new headband to go with it. So I make one. Every Sunday. And it ruffles J-P's feathers in a major way. Mostly because there isn't time on a chaotic Sunday morning for those sorts of things. The goal this week is to plan ahead. Or to forget about headbands.
This afternoon the boys got to sample my first attempt at gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. I will have to say, they were AMAZING. Best chocolate chip cookies I have ever made...gluten or no gluten. I ground my own amaranth flour (instead of sorghum) and millet flour, and used mostly turbinado sugar (evaporated cane juice). I also used smart balance light instead of butter. Recipe here.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Dave is oddly against headbands himself. He thinks they're ridiculous and it doesn't help that I tell him she might as well be naked without one. Also that both headband AND binkie better perfectly match the outfit or we're not leaving the house.

ecuakim said...

That's funny, and not at the same time. Only because it hits so close to home. Not with headbands, obviously. For us, it's my singing time prep procrastination that causes a stir around here EVERY Sunday morning. But I must say, one of the highlights of Sunday for me is coming to church to see how you've dressed Ava. And, you amaze me. Constantly. I've never even heard of the flours that you used for the cookies. I know this is shameless, but will you make some more and invite me to come taste them? We actually had a gluten-free dinner tonight that I was pretty proud of and I thought of you. But thinking about making every meal gluten/dairy free is so overwhelming. Do you think baby steps count?

Amie said...

Ava is so adorable! I love seeing your posts. Way to go on finding a delicious gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe! I'll have to try it out.

ecuakim said...

Wow. Next day door-to-door service. I should ask for cookies more often!! The cookies were DELICIOUS! I cannot believe you used Smart Balance light. I can't even tell. Amazing. What is remarkable to me is the fact that they are not dense at all. Super light and crisp, yet chewy. Now, where do I get all the ingredients?