Oct 19, 2009

getting closer

I am 38 weeks and 2 days pregnant. At this point days count. This weekend we tried EVERYTHING to jump start labor (aside from castor oil and herbal potions). And it worked. I was up ALL night with painful, regular contractions. As the sun came up they got further apart...and finally they were far enough apart that I could fall asleep. And then they were gone.
Now I face the very real possibility of giving birth all alone. Not so excited about that. At all. J-P will be at Duke until my due date, so at this point all we can do is pray that this little lady doesn't make her debut until he gets back. And that she doesn't get too big in the interim.
J-P took me out to La Grande Orange on Friday since he won't be here for my birthday. I had been anticipating this date for months, as we never get the chance to go out. I spent extra time at the gym so as to be able to work up an appetite to eat whatever my little heart desired. As we stepped foot into the lovely little restaurant, the power simultaneously went out and my dreams of eating fig and prosciutto pizza were deflated.
The boys are doing great (if we don't factor in potty training, which still hasn't been accomplished). They are very helpful and sweet and respond pretty well to time-out threats. Ian sucks his thumb in his sleep (he has NEVER once sucked it while awake), and it's about to fall off. He has open sores/blisters from teeth marks and I have NO idea what to do remedy the situation. Any advice will be readily accepted. We also need some major help in the baby names department. I'm starting to worry that our impending arrival will be nameless. The names I like are SUPER popular and the non-conformist in me is preventing me from choosing a popular name. The problem: I don't like any unpopular names. So, we are at a standstill in the selection process. All advice and suggestions are eagerly accepted.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Everything you say reminds me exactly of myself. I too was sure we would never have a name. I also loved the most common names ever. I kept begging for Ashley, Kayla, or Ella. But my non-conformist highly-opinionated husband put the kybosh on those. Good luck! And I hope she stays inside til Daddy gets home!

Molly said...

I know you like the 3 letter name thing - I love Ivy. So sorry about La Grande Orange - that place is the best! That is so sad. Hope baby stays put for awhile!

jlthomas said...

Having a baby by yourself would be no fun! I hope that doesn't happen to you! We are stuck on the naming thing too, although we have a bit more time than you. If ours was a girl it was going to be Claire but we're having a boy. Good Luck!

Brynn said...

Will your Dr. induce before JP leaves? Good luck! This is the one time we are hoping someone goes past their due date! As for thumb sucking... maybe after he falls asleep you can put a sock over his hand????

Marianne said...

I totally hear you on the name thing. Before our daughter was born, I had a bunch of names picked out that I loved...and then I went to the baby names web sites only to find out that, oh, EVERYONE loved those names. You could use Adelaide if you want - I mean, you and I have the same name, right? :)

ecuakim said...

You know, there are lots of long names that have 3 letter nicknames. Like mine for example, or Liz for Elizabeth. Then you could name her Elizabeth Eva Scoville. Although, I still think it sounds better the other way around. Eva Elizabeth is darling. I always liked having a popular name. It seemed like EVERYBODY I knew growing up was also named Kimberly. But that was okay with me because my parents just loved my name and so I loved it too. Just pray for an easy going child, instead of a spitfire like my sister that had to grow into liking her pop culture name. Besides, 20 years from now, Eva won't be popular anymore and the non-conformist in YOU will be more at ease. Please tell me how I can help you during these next couple weeks.

Kathryn M said...

You and your family has been in our prayers and will continue to be. I am so sorry that this exciting event has turned out to be so stressful it takes the fun out of it. My parents were told I was going to be a boy so when I came out a girl they had to quickly choose a name for the birth certificate. They still have the baby book that my dad ran out and bought with all the girl names they were considering and I'm so glad they didn't choose certian ones. It will all work out and Tyler and I both really like Eva! And just because you like something doesn't mean you're conforming!