Sep 27, 2009

Happy Fall

We have been ushering in the fall season by making lots of soup. Even though it is still really hot outside. There is something about eating a meal of soup/salad/baked goods in the fall that makes me VERY happy. The other day I was chopping some vegetables for chicken tortilla soup and Ian started eating the raw vegetables as fast as I could chop them. He loves to stand on a stool and "help" me cook. By help I mean stir, sample, and narrate my efforts. "Mommy stirring, mommy cutting zuc..chi...ni, mommy putting apple (red pepper) in it..." He doesn't stop talking all day long, and says the cutest, funniest things.

Max has been building a lot. He spends a lot of time constructing towers, castles, and bridges with blocks and legos. He loves to order Ian around and teach him how to build. "No, that's not right Ian. Put it over here. Ok, that's good." Ian is a very willing apprentice. I love to watch them play together and spy on their little conversations. I don't want them to grow up. Aside from potty training, I love the stage they are in.

p.s. Here is a fantastic butternut squash soup recipe. It's the best one I've had, and I'm pretty sure I've tried them all. I use a few substitutions and it still turns out great.

3 comments:

Brynn said...

I'm totally going to try that soup recipe. thanks! Don't you love when your kids love veggies?

Kathryn M said...

I know exactly what you mean about the soup and baked goods for fall! I've been doing the same. Butternut Squash is one of my favorite things in the whole world and I too have tried many different recipes so I will give this one a try as well! Tyler and I got plane tickets for Dec 22-31 headed straight for Arizona so we will look forward to seeing you, your family, and a brand new baby girl!

Jessica said...

Ian is looking SO big!!