Feb 20, 2009

food

Food is on my mind. I had to teach a class on healthy, low-budget cooking last week. I spent a whole day in the kitchen preparing samples. Max spent a whole day in the kitchen "cooking" and making messes.

"I just making hot chocolate mommy. I put onions and sugar and cheerios in my hot chocolate mommy. I working so hard mommy. I such a good worker mommy. I cooking just like you mommy..."
I planted round four of our garden this morning (with plenty of marigolds to scare the bugs away). I also planted stevia for the first time. I've never used it before, mostly because it's so expensive. Fingers are crossed that we will have better luck this time than we did last fall. While outside I was also very surprised to discover our first orange ever hiding under some branches. Hopefully the limes and lemons aren't far behind.
In trying to get as much use as possible out of my wheat grinder, I have been baking a lot. Bread, muffins, and a new personal fav: blueberry rolls.

12 comments:

blindblogger said...

I'm sorry those blueberry rolls look amazing. Could you pass that recipe on over?

Molly said...

Mmm, those blueberry rolls look amazing... You inspired me to start eating beans and lentils more, the samples were delish!

blindblogger said...

M-A I need the recipe for the soup you used to make for us when we were teachers.

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Not only did you find an orange, but you found a stellar one! Way to be following the Lord's admonition!

Unknown said...

Maximo, your hot chocolate looks super yummy! Hey, MA, I wouldn't mind getting the blueberry roll recipe either! Maybe post it on your blog...?

Jessica said...

M-A, your house looks like it's out of a magazine. And the post isn't even about that, but about how you are secretly Martha Stewart in disguise. This is getting ridiculous. I am a little jealous. I mean, a lot.

Alicia Leppert said...

Mmmmm....onion, sugar and Cheerios hot chocolate! I'm gonna make me some of that tonight!

I keep hearing about this Stevia. Do you think it is the best alternative to sugar?

[M] said...

I am skeptical of most alternatives to sugar besides honey and real maple syrup. I need to do some research on stevia before i actually use it. My sister-in-law uses it a lot. I let you know...

[M] said...

oh, and max has never tasted hot chocolate, nor has he seen anyone make it.

ecuakim said...

LOL. Clark likes to make "hot chocolate" too and I'm pretty sure he's never had it, either. I like to thank the Polar Express movie for that. There's a pretty catchy song all about hot chocolate. But who knows.

And I also hereby request the blueberry roll recipe.

Kelli said...

so i sent nate to the store to buy blueberries. he asked if they were for eating or if i had another plan for them (trained him good). i mentioned yummy blueberry rolls. he smiled and asked when? then i realized that i didn't know- so when ?

jana said...

ditto on the blueberry rolls!! they look delish!! I could go for one right about now! You are amazing!