May 7, 2008

livestrong

When people you love have cancer, you feel really helpless. J-P has always been an avid supporter of the livestrong foundation, but since finding out the heart wrenching news that his Dad has cancer, he has upped his donations. We have spent a small fortune supporting cancer organizations, blogs, etc. It's the least we can do when we don't know what else to do. J-P only reads one blog: fatcyclist.com. He feels a connection to the blogger because they share a love of cycling and a determination to support cancer organizations and cancer research. Today we found out that the fat cyclist's wife's cancer has become terminal, and it has been a sad day at our house. It's funny how we become connected to and emotionally invested in the people whose blogs we read. We have never met him, but we feel like we are old friends because we know everything about him. Cancer is taking it's toll on our family, extended family, our friends, and the families of our friends. We wish we knew how to stop it. Our hearts go out to all those who have suffered the repercussions of this horrible disease. I have been trying to get to the bottom of the epidemic by reading as much as I can about it. Cancer.gov has great info. I have been making a concerted effort to make sure that I am feeding my family healthy food. This book has almost convinced me to become a vegan. Almost. It has some really interesting research about the relationship between diet and chronic disease. A must read, if you ask me. For lunch today (and most days) we had brown rice, black beans (a la my special recipe), avocado, and home-made salsa. No one said eating healthy has to taste bad.

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

Thanks M-A; great things to think about. We'll pray for JP's dad. We need to be more supportive of the cause like you are.

~Sarah said...

Cute shirts! I especially love Max's outfit. I love that you are livestrong supporters! I know you have told me about the book, but I'll look more into it.

S. Schuller said...

How sad about J-P's dad. I hope he can get rid of the cancer. Your lunch looks delicious. I've gotta get some brown rice. The avocado looks so good too. Way to support the cause!

Annieofbluegables said...

http://annieofbluegables.blogspot.com/2008/05/tribute-to-rodger.html
I wrote a little tribute to your dad, John Paul.

~anita