May 29, 2008

catching up

When we arrived home from our Utah sojourn we found weeds, dust, an overgrown garden, and two dead birds in the pool. Yuck. We are working on a return to normalcy. Normal for us is a never-ending cycle of cooking, cleaning, playing, and projects. I have been busy trying to think of 101 ways to cook zucchini because our garden has been very fruitful in the zucchini department. Yesterday I made zucchini sweet potato bread and salmon zucchini cakes. Both were very delicious ways to utilize our zucchini stores.
We have have also started the frustrating, yet comical journey called potty training. Max LOVES fruit snacks, so we use those as leverage. Sometimes we forget that he is smarter than we are. He does a tiny little tinkle in the toilet, and we clap and shout and bring out the fruit snacks. Then 20 minutes later (when the fruit snacks are gone) he runs to the toilet to go a little bit more...to get more fruit snacks. Basically, he is squeezing out a few drops anytime he wants fruit snacks. If he doesn't want fruits snacks, he goes in his diaper. Sometimes he even tries to fake us out. He will run to the bathroom, sit on his toilet, make dramatic pushing faces, and say "psssssss". He promptly proceeds to dump his (empty) little toilet bowl in the big toilet with his 'this-is-serious-business face'. He puts the toilet bowl back and (with a huge smile) says "FRUIT SNACKS!?"
Poor little Ian had a rough time up north because it became increasingly difficult to stick to my no dairy diet with a gazillion people dropping off dairy-laden treats and snacks every 10 minutes. I was very good until the funeral. I took one look at the funeral potatoes at the luncheon and scooped half of the pan onto my plate. Eating funeral potatoes at a funeral is a rite of passage. I couldn't not do it. There is some magical ingredient in those things that dispels sadness, I'm sure of it. Anyway, once I'd cheated there was no point in avoiding the rest of the mormon soul food, so I loaded up. And, after that...I was up all night. Every night. Ian did his best to remind me that milk does NOT do his body good. Poor guy.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I feel your pain when it comes to no dairy (and no soy). I was around peanut M&M's all weekend and only ate one. It was the first time I cheated in three months.

Andrea said...

potty training was THE WORST thing i've done as a mom so far - which is why ryan will probably still be wearing diapers until kindergarten :) a piece of unsolicited advice: definitely go SMALL on the rewards (ie one fruit snack as opposed to a whole bag each time he goes) or you will be tearing your hair out - i don't know what i was thinking when nick got a slurpee from 7-11 every night he went to bed without us laying there a few years back - i was regretting that reward big time!!

Alicia Leppert said...

Mormon soul food...so funny. Yeah, funeral potatoes are too good for words. I would have caved, too.