Apr 26, 2011

making me smile


Max is really into writing lately. It's his favorite thing to do. He used to fill pages with random letters, but now he is more interested in making words. He will grab a paper and say "mom! how do you spell________?" A few days ago I found a card that he had written the names of all the people in our family in. I couldn't help but laugh that he had included his favorite stuffed animal "burrito" as part of our family. This morning I found him cutting out little papers, writing the alphabet on them, and then taping them together. "I'm working on an art project mom...these are clues to a treasure hunt." This afternoon I asked him if he wanted to run to the store with me. He said "yes!, but let me make the list!" He grabbed a paper and started writing down (with a little help) all of the things he thought we needed. This is what he told me the list said: "maple syrup, carrots, chicken, bananas, frosting, fish".

When I picked him up from preschool earlier he was rattling off about how they are going to celebrate his birthday in May (because it's a summer birthday). "Mom, I have to bring cupcakes, ok? Because that's what you eat when it's your birthday. Do you know what a cupcake is? It's kinda like a muffin, except a cupcake has frosting and a muffin doesn't. We need to get some frosting, ok?" We'll see if his friends eat the wheat-free, dairy-free, soy-free cupcakes I send. And I probably won't mention the fact that I use duck eggs. I figure his "birthday" is the one time a year that he shouldn't have to eat something different than the other kids. It makes me sad that he never gets to eat their birthday treats.

1 comment:

cherise and Tristan said...

I sure enjoy reading your blog. I miss you guys tons. You have an adorable family and I wish I was half the mom you are. Love Cherise